Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Week 14

The readings for this week cover a lot of topics. Many of them I have learned about in other classes, so the material was more accessible than the technical readings earlier in the term. The Lesk reading I found particularly interesting because it was discussing issues concerning digital materials that were just becoming important at the time it was written. More than a decade later, those issues have become everyday realities for information institutions like libraries. Licensing agreements, subscriptions for digital publications, and copyright restrictions are now issues confronted on a daily basis.

The Arms article discusses how the issues mentioned above have necessitated the creation of systems that can distinguish between users. License agreements, for example, force me to sign into the ULS network every time I want to use it. As the article points out, systems designed to only allow people with a specific right of access can be cumbersome and frustrating. When I have to sign into the ULS system for remote access after being kicked off for the umpteenth time, I start to get irritated.

No comments:

Post a Comment